Sleepless in Hampton Roads - How to Store Your Mattress
The Jack Rabbit Team | February 15, 2019 @ 12:00 AM
Finding the right mattress is an investment – in time, money, and rest – so storing it correctly is imperative. A quality mattress can last up to 15 years if properly maintained, so the right mattress may be expensive. Read these tips to keep your investment properly protected while in storage.
- Clean and air out. Mattresses aren’t like a load of dirty laundry – you can’t just toss them in the washer. Here’s the easiest method to cleaning your mattress:
- Remove the mattress and boxspring from the bed frame and strip all bedding.
- Sprinkle baking soda on the exterior and let it sit for about 15 minutes to absorb odors.
- Vacuum both sides of the mattress using a vacuum attachment.
- Let the mattress air out for a few hours before preparing for storage.
- Wrap it up. Thoroughly wrap the mattress in plastic wrap and secure with tape. Jack Rabbit sells mattress bags just for this step. The bags are a light, breathable plastic and three sizes are available: king, queen, and single. Be sure to visit your storage unit every few months to air out the mattress if you are storing it long term.
- Lay the mattress flat while in storage. Don’t prop the mattress on its side as that will cause the coils and inner-workings to settle out of their natural position.
- Don’t store anything on top of the mattress. Heavy objects can damage the springs and create more wear to the exterior. It is okay to place the mattress on top of other items, like flat tables. Just make sure it’s all stable.
- Consider your options. While traditional storage is suitable for mattresses, climate controlled units may be a better option for long term storage. If you choose a traditional storage unit, use moisture-controlling products, such as Moisture Grabbers or DampCheck, both of which are sold at all Jack Rabbit locations.
- When you are ready to take the mattress out of storage to be used again, repeat step one. Clean the mattress so it is fresh and ready to be used.
Stop by your local Jack Rabbit location to see how we can make storage easy and affordable.